Monday, May 2, 2011

The packrat lifestyle

We've lived in this house for three years now, and as can be expected, have accumulated a lot of stuff. Especially after that baby thing happened. We have so much baby stuff, holy hell. He only plays with like twenty five things, yet he has seven hundred toys. I only wear three pairs of shoes but own I think twenty. (In all fairness, though, most of those currently unused shoes were worn a lot when I worked in a law office and had to be all presentable and stuff all the time. Not a lot of use for six inch heels in the stay at home mommy business, it seems.)

It's insane the crap I keep around. Why the hell do I need two blow dryers, three curling irons, hot rollers, foam rollers, a straightening iron, and a huge box of products when the only hairstyle I ever rock is a ponytail?! Why do I need an entire drawer of baking tins, cookie sheets, and pizza pans when Erin (god bless her) does all of my baking for me? How many nearly empty bottles of Dayquil does one family need (answer: 4)? It's stupid.

So now I'm going through the toys, shoes, clothes, kitchen utensils, blah blah blah, and purging stuff like a madwoman. I think I've donated enough to Goodwill at this point to outfit an entire small single person apartment. I've thrown out enough to clog up our trash can so badly that when the trash truck came and picked it up, stuff was wedged into the bottom and it stayed for an extra week (Tim had to go out and ask the garbage men to shake it extra hard, and wouldn't let them leave until he saw it empty). That sucked.

We are now just a few shorts days away from our great departure! The trailer is mostly packed, and the house is mostly cleaned out. It's going to be weird, knowing that someone else is living in my house for the summer, but I'm pretty sure the perfect temps and awesome climbing will help alleviate that some.

I guess I should take some pictures of the trailer or something, at some point...

1 comment:

  1. So psyched for you guys and will expect regular updates to make me thoroughly jealous. Take good care of each other, be safe, and rock the f out like I know you always do. I love you guys and wish you the best!! See you in the fall. <3

    ReplyDelete