Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Every time I say "I love you" to my mom, she says "I love you more". My whole life, we've had that exchange. I usually reply with something smart assed, or at least just the standard "No, I love you more!"
Shortly after Havoc was born, I was on the phone with my mom, probably oohing and aahing over my precious little son, and when we said our goodbyes, we had the usual exchange, only this time, after she said "I love you more", she added, "and I bet you believe me this time." For the first time in my life, I did. I really really did.

It's funny, before that moment, it hadn't occurred to me to think about just how much my parents really loved me. It was just one of those things, you know, like that the sun rises every day. But after I hung up the phone, I just sat and stared at my newborn son, and thought about how much I loved him, and tried to really grasp that my mom loved me the same way, maybe even more. It was, I think, one of the more significant moments of my life.

Happy mother's day! Not just to my mom Kelley, but to my awesome mother in law Esty, my grandmothers Kay and Jeanette (who are pretty much the coolest grandmothers ever, by the way), my sister Cedar (who has a little girl of her own, who turns a year this summer), and all of my friends who are mothers or mothers to be. I've been lucky to have so many great women (Mom, Mom T, Sandy, Melissa, Cindy, Carolyn, Jacquie, you guys especially!) in my life without whom this first year of motherhood would've been a very different and much harder thing! Thank you for all the support, advice, and hand me downs! I love every one of you dearly.

Have a very happy mother's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment