Sunday, May 17, 2015

Washing dishes, homestead style.

Since I don't have a fully functional kitchen (stove works, but that's it), I wash the dishes outside on a table with a jug of water and a tub. 


Every morning, I put yesterday's dishes in the tub on the ground to soak. (There are more dishes than normal in this pic, it's been snowing so I haven't done the washnh in a few days.) Around noon I go out and scrub them, and toss the dirty water. Then I rinse them with the jug water, over the tub, so I can reuse the rinse water for tomorrow's soak water. They dry on a rack the fits into the nonfunctional kitchen sink. I use about a gallon of clean water a day. 

When it's nice out, it's actually kind of fun; and very very "green". When it's cold, though? That sucks. One day I added hot water to the jug and soak water, which brought it from frozen to slush. Luckily slush makes for excellent scrubbing! Unluckily it took about two hours for my hands to return to a normal color. 

Looks like the snow may finally be over. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against snow... but it's unpleasant at best when you live in a glorified tin can that can't run heat without sunshine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment