Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Home sweet homestead

I woke up a few times in the night, restless and a bit irritable, and then I looked out my windows at the moonlight filtering through the trees that stretch till the eye can't distinguish seperate trunks anymore even on the brightest nights. "It's okay, I'm home now", I thought to myself, and settled back into bed with a smile on my face and contentment in my heart.


Rob and I spent a long weekend in Texas this past weekend, and other than a few shining wonderful moments spent with family and friends, it was an incredibly jarring, uncomfortable and often depressing trip. It's weird to be in a place that was home for so long and feel no connection to it at all. It really reinforced to both of us, though, that the move was the right choice. 


Now we're back and hard at work! We've got all four structures floor framed, joists hung, cross bracing in, and sheathing down. It turns out that I am, much to everyone's surprise, quite handy with a chop saw and framing nailer. I did very nearly shoot Rob in the stomach today with said nailer, though. 


Rob heads back to Texas on Friday for his brothers wedding and to pick up the boy from Grandma and Grandpas, so we're holding off on wall framing till Monday. It's really happening, though, and for all my aching muscles I couldn't be happier. We're literally building the lives we've always dreamed of, from the ground up, with the people we love the most. Who could ever want more than that? 


No comments:

Post a Comment