Thursday, June 9, 2011

Clothesline in the meadow.

While preparing for this trip, I spent hours online trying to find resources or advice for extended traveling with a cloth diapered baby. There is some info, but not nearly as much as I had expected, other than that I would want to find unmanned laundromats to avoid trouble when washing said cloth diapers. Makes sense; I'm not sure how stoked I'd be (assuming I didn't know any better, of course) to know I was washing my delicates in the same washer that just washed some kids pee cloths.

Well, so far his butt has still been cheerfully clothed. I just hang the wet diapers out to dry on a clothes line between two trees, and after they're nice and dry, they go into a five gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid.



It looks as though I've got enough diapers to last him about two weeks (which is good because that's all I can cram into a five gallon bucket), and my five covers seems to be plenty. Also, Havoc absolutely LOVES dragging that bucket around with him for some reason. It's currently his favorite outside toy. Kids are weird, man.
I'm still on the hunt for an unmanned laundromat, though. Jamie is super awesome and let me wash at her place, but I'm not into imposing. I prefer to not mix business and pleasure.


Luckily he's still doing fairly well with the potty training, so his three or four diaper a day badassery is maintained. I have yet to find many things in life as satisfying as discovering that the diaper you put on your one year old two hours ago is dry, other than putting said one year old on the potty and hearing that tinkle as he grins proudly at you from the seat. We've never chided him for a wet or dirty diaper, but praise him like crazy for dry ones, and we practically throw him a party for using the potty like a big boy! I'm still blown away by how well it works, not to mention how easy it is, not to mention how awesome it is when Havoc marches himself to the bathroom door and looks at me expectantly, ALL ON HIS OWN! That's right. He tells me when he needs to go. I don't even have to ask anymore! It's incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment